Personal Immigration



The UK Fiancé(e) visa category is for engaged partners of British citizens or persons with indefinite leave to remain who wish to enter the UK and marry within 6 months of their arrival.  An application for a UK Fiancé(e) visa must be made from outside the UK.

Requirements for a UK Fiancé(e) visa application

In order to qualify for a UK Fiancé(e) visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • Your partner is British or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK;
  • You are both over the age of 18;
  • You have met in person;
  • You are both free to marry;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently in the UK;
  • You intend to marry within six months of your arrival in the UK;
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
  • You speak and understand English to the required level.

The exact requirements you will need to satisfy will vary depending on your circumstances.  You may want to speak to an immigration lawyer for expert advice.

To discuss your UK Fiancé(e) visa application with one of our immigration barristers, contact our Fiancé(e) visa UK lawyers on 0203 617 9173 or complete our enquiry form below.

Fiancé(e) visa UK financial requirement

In order to demonstrate that you can be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds, you will need to satisfy the Fiancé(e) visa UK financial requirement.

The financial requirement for a UK Fiancé(e) visa application states that you will need to demonstrate that your partner has a gross annual income of at least:

  • £18,600; plus
  • £3,800 for a first child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national); plus
  • £2,400 for each additional child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national).

Satisfying the Fiancé(e) visa for UK financial requirement

You can meet the Fiancé(e) visa UK financial requirement through your partner’s salaried and non-salaried income, self-employed income, salary and/or dividends from a company of which they are a Director, property rental income, dividends and income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds, pension income, insurance payments, maintenance payments and cash savings above £16,000 that have been held for at least six months, unless they can demonstrate that they have come from the sale of property or investments within the last 6 months.

Different considerations will apply if your partner is in receipt of certain benefits.

Fiancé(e) visa UK processing times

UK Visa & Immigration aims to process 95% of UK Fiancé(e) visa applications within 12 weeks.

If you require a faster visa processing timeline, most visa application centres outside the UK offer a Settlement Priority Visa Service. This will ensure that your UK Fiancé(e) visa application is placed at the front of the queue at every stage of the decision-making process. The visa processing time for a UK Fiancé(e) visa application submitted via the Settlement Priority Visa Service is normally not more than 30 working days.  A well prepared visa application may result in a quicker processing time.

Applications for Fiancé(e) visas can only be made from outside the UK.  It is not possible to switch into the Fiancé(e) visa category from within the UK.

UK Fiancé(e) visa application fee

The Home Office application fee for a UK Fiancé(e) visa application submitted outside the UK is currently £1,523.

Fiancé(e) visa UK validity period

If your application for a UK Fiancé(e) visa is successful, your visa will be valid for 6 months initially.

After your wedding has taken place, you will then be eligible to apply to switch into the Spouse category without having to leave the UK.

If your application for further leave to remain in the UK as a Spouse is successful then you will be granted further leave to remain for a period of 30 months.  You will need to extend your Spouse leave for a further 30 months before it expires.

After spending 5 years in the UK as the Spouse of a British citizen or settled person, you will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

What if I do not get married within 6 months?

If your marriage does not take place before your Fiancé(e) visa expires, you can apply to extend your stay for a further 6 months in order to allow the ceremony to take place, provided that there is a good reason why it has not done so to date and there is evidence that a ceremony will take place within the next 6 months.

Can a UK Fiancé(e) visa holder work in the UK?

Fiancé(e) visa holders are not permitted to work in the UK.

UK Fiancé(e) visa application: How our immigration barristers can help

Our immigration barristers regularly assist foreign national fiancé(e)s to relocate to, and settle in, the UK with their British citizen or settled partners.  We have assisted hundreds of foreign national fiancé(e)s to prepare and submit successful Fiancé(e) visa for UK applications.

Whether you require expert advice on the requirements of the Immigration Rules, an independent assessment of your prospects of qualifying for a visa or professional assistance with preparing an immigration application, our immigration barristers can help.

The financial requirement rules are particularly complex and include mandatory requirements in terms of the documentary evidence that must be provided to UK Visas and Immigration in order to demonstrate access to the relevant funds. Our immigration barristers specialise in assisting applicants with complicated financial circumstances to secure successful outcomes in their Fiancé(e) visa applications.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our clients’ needs. We are a highly driven team of immigration barristers, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to family members as part of a professional and friendly service.

We can also assist with

  • Immigration property inspection reports for Fiancé(e) visa applications

    In order to satisfy the requirements of the Immigration Rules for a Fiancé(e) visa, you will need to demonstrate that there is adequate accommodation for yourself, your partner and any dependants.  Our barristers can arrange for a qualified surveyor with specialist knowledge and skills to attend your property to assess and produce a comprehensive report that can be submitted in support of your application.

  • Applications for Spouse visas

    The Spouse visa category is for partners of British citizens or persons with indefinite leave to remain in the UK, who wish to join, or stay with their husband or wife in the UK. This category leads to settlement in the UK after a period of 5 years.

  • Applications by partners of HM Forces

    The Partner of HM Forces category is for partners of UK armed forces personnel who wish to join, or stay with, their husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner in the UK.

  • Super priority service appointments for Fiancé(e)s

    If you already have leave to remain in the UK as a Fiancé(e) and are applying to extend your stay or to settle in the UK as a Spouse, you may be able to submit your application in person and receive a decision on the next working day, using UK Visas and Immigration’s Super Priority Service.

    We can arrange for one of our legal associates, who is familiar with your case, to accompany you to the premium service centre, assist you with registering, provide assistance with enrolling your biometrics and liaise with the immigration officer, caseworker and, if required, your barrister on your behalf.

  • Fresh applications and Immigration Appeals for Fiancé(e)s

    If your application for entry clearance as a fiancé(e) has been refused, our immigration barristers can advise you on the merits of making a fresh application and/or challenging the decision by way of an appeal to the Immigration Tribunal.

    As well as preparing high quality visa applications, our immigration barristers provide professional legal advice and representation in relation to every aspect of pursuing a UK immigration appeal.

    Our immigration appeal barristers advise on the merits of appealing against Home Office immigration decisions, draft grounds of appeal and applications for permission to appeal, prepare appeal bundles and provide representation at immigration appeal hearings before the First-tier Tribunal, Upper Tribunal and higher courts.


To discuss your UK Fiancé(e) visa application with one of our immigration barristers, contact our Fiancé(e) visa UK lawyers on 0203 617 9173 or complete our enquiry form.



Expert advice & representation from immigration barristers that you can rely on.

Google+ - Five Stars

Read the 300+ five out of five star Google reviews of our immigration barristers.