Service launched for universities sponsoring foreign students
A new pilot scheme offering universities a range of specialist immigration services has been launched, recognising the importance of universities within the higher education sector.
Following feedback from the sector, universities will now have a dedicated point of contact within the UK Border Agency as well as access to expert advice and information.
The scheme has been tailored for universities, and the UK Border Agency has worked closely with Universities UK in developing the service, which includes:
- a dedicated account manager,
- training events for universities on topics such as compliance and how to maintain highly trusted sponsor status,
- access to a range of events each year,
- the ability to quickly check whether or not a potential student is eligible to come to the UK, and
- receipt of a monthly report outlining how many overseas students have taken up the university’s offer to sponsor their study in the UK.
If the pilot is successful then the UK Border Agency will consider how the service might benefit other education institutions that sponsor international students.