Latest Migration Statistics Quarterly Report
The Office for National Statistics has published its latest Migration Statistics Quarterly Report, which contains provisional estimates of international migration for the year ending December 2013.
The report gives an interesting insight into UK immigration trends, and shows that 526,000 people immigrated to the UK over the period and 314,000 people emigrated from the UK, leaving a net migration figure of 212,000.
The report also reveals that:
- 214,000 immigrated for work in the year ending December 2013, a statistically significant increase from 180,000 the previous year. Work remains as the most common reason for immigrating to the UK. Immigration for study (177,000) has remained steady.
- 201,000 EU citizens immigrated in the year ending December 2013, a statistically significant increase from 158,000 the previous year.
- 23,000 EU2 (Romanian and Bulgarian) citizens immigrated in the year ending December 2013, a statistically significant increase from 9,000 the previous year. An estimated 122,000 EU2 citizens were employed in the UK in Jan to Mar 2014, compared with 103,000 in the same period in 2013.
- National Insurance number (NINo) registrations to adult overseas nationals increased by 7% to 603,000 in the year ending March 2014 from the previous year. The highest number of registrations continues to be for Polish citizens (102,000).
- In the year ending March 2014, work visas issued increased 10% (with skilled work visas up 18%) as well as increases for study (+6%) and student visitor (+14%) visas, partly offset by a fall in family visas (-4%).
- There was a 5% increase in asylum applications in the year ending March 2014 (23,731) compared with the previous 12 months (22,630), although well below the 2002 peak (84,132). The 5% was particularly driven by rises from Eritrea, Syria and Albania.
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0.
For specialist advice please click here to contact our immigration barristers and lawyers today. We look forward to hearing from you.