Personal Immigration
Business Immigration

Changes affecting post-study work

In a recent statement of intent, the government has announced more details of its planned changes to Tier 1 (Post Study Work) of the points-based system.

Tier 1 (Post Study Work) will close to new applicants on 5 April 2012. In its place, from 6 April 2012, Tier 2 (General) will be open to recent graduates with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, PhD, or a PGCE or PGDE, from a UK recognised or listed body.  As per the normal Tier 2 requirements, applicants must have an offer of a skilled job from a licensed sponsor and be paid at least £20,000 or the minimum appropriate rate set out in the relevant Code of Practice. However, the employer will not have to complete a resident labour market test and the jobs will not be subject to the annual limit on Tier 2 numbers (i.e. the Certificates of Sponsorship will be in the Unrestricted category).

Migrants using this route will be able to sponsor new dependants, on the same terms as other Tier 2 migrants. They may continue to sponsor any dependants whom they sponsored as a Tier 4 migrant.

Tier 4 Dependants will continue to be able to switch into Tier 2 employment in their own right, but will be subject to the Tier 2 limit. Tier 4 migrants will be able to switch into Tier 2, as described above, once they have been awarded their qualification. In-country switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 will not be permitted for those who have not completed their studies, except for PhD students who, as now, must have completed at least 12 months of study.

A migrant who wishes to switch to Tier 2 from Tier 4 may start work as a student with the Tier 2 employer if their Tier 4 leave is still valid and allows them to work. The employers should however not offer a permanent contract until the Tier 2 application is approved. If a migrant wishes to undertake a period of professional training following a course of study in order to obtain a professional qualification, this can be done by switching into Tier 2. If this is not possible, the relevant sector body may seek to establish a dedicated scheme within Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) to allow further training prior to return overseas. It is not possible to switch from Tier 5 to Tier 2, but the governments intends to make provision for switching from Tier 4 to Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) to allow this professional training to take place.

Further details of the replacement for the Tier 1 (Post Study Work) category will be available once the changes to the relevant Immigration Rules have been laid on 15 March 2012.


To arrange an initial consultation meeting, call our immigration barristers on 0203 617 9173 or fill out the form below.

    Attach a file if it supports your enquiry. Only .doc or .pdf files.


    Expert advice & representation from immigration barristers that you can rely on.

    Google+ - Five Stars

    Read the 600+ five out of five star Google reviews of our immigration barristers.