Personal Immigration



The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) is for young adults from participating countries and territories who wish to experience life in the United Kingdom.

What are the main eligibility requirements?

In order to qualify for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas & Immigration that:

  • You are aged between 18 and 30;
  • You are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan or are a British overseas citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or a British national (overseas);
  • You have at least £1,890 in savings;
  • You do not have any children under 18 who live with you or for whom you are financially responsible;
  • You have not previously been in the UK under the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) or in the former ‘Working Holidaymaker’ category.

What else do I need to know?

If you are a citizen of Hong Kong or the Republic of Korea, you will need to be sponsored by an employer in the UK and obtain a certificate of sponsorship reference number before you apply. Citizens of other listed countries are sponsored by their government or authority.

If your application for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa is successful you will be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months (if you turn 31 while you are in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid).

You will be free to do any type of work (except as a professional sportsperson or doctor or dentist in training) and engage in privately funded studies during your stay in the United Kingdom. You will also be able to be self-employed and set up a company, provided that your premises are rented, your equipment is not worth more than £5,000 and you do not have any employees. Youth Mobility Scheme temporary migrants may also undertake voluntary work and au pair placements as and when they wish.

There is a limit on the number of places available under this route. This limit is split between the countries.

Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa holders cannot switch into any other category of the Points Based System without leaving the UK.

How we can help

Our team of business immigration barristers has experience in assisting with all types of Points Based System visa applications. Our barristers are experts in the immigration options for Tier 5 visa applicants and will guide you through the complex Home Office rules and policies.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our clients’ needs. We are a highly driven team, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to Tier 5 applicants as part of professional and friendly service.


  • Applications to enter the UK under Tiers 1, 2, 4 and 5 of the points-based system

    The Tier 1 (Investor) category is for non-EEA nationals who are able to make a substantial investment in the UK. You will need to have access to £2 million and be willing to invest your funds in UK government bonds or actively trading UK companies.

    The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) category is for non-EEA nationals who want to set up or invest in a business in the UK. You will need to have access to £200,000 (or £50,000) and satisfy the Home Office that you genuinely intend and are able to be actively involved in the running of a viable UK business.

    The Tier 2 (General) category is for individuals who have an offer of a skilled job in the UK from a licensed Tier 2 Sponsor. This category includes applicants coming to the UK to fill shortage occupations. You will need to have an offer of employment before applying for a visa.

    The Tier 4 (General) Student category is for non-EEA nationals who are over the age of 16 and wish to study in the UK.

    The Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) category is for certain types of temporary worker whose entry to the UK will help to satisfy cultural, charitable, religious or international objectives. You will need to have an offer of a position before applying for a visa.

  • Applications to switch into family migration routes from within the UK

    The Spouse or Civil Partner visa category is for partners of British citizens or persons with indefinite leave to remain in the UK, who wish to join, or stay with their husband, wife or civil partner in the UK.

    The Unmarried Partner visa category is for unmarried partners of British citizens or persons with indefinite leave to remain in the UK, who wish to join, or stay with their partner in the UK.

  • Fresh applications, Administrative Reviews and Judicial Review

    If your application for entry clearance or as a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) migrant has been refused, our immigration barristers can advise on the merits of making a fresh application or challenging the decision.

    If the decision-maker failed to apply the Immigration Rules or Home Office policy correctly, we can bring Administrative Review proceedings to challenge the decision.

    If the decision to refuse your application was unlawful, unreasonable or procedurally improper, our immigration barristers can apply for Judicial Review and provide representation at Judicial Review hearings.


To arrange an initial consultation meeting with one of our immigration barristers, contact our Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa team on 0203 617 9173 or complete our enquiry form.


Expert advice & representation from immigration barristers that you can rely on.

Google+ - Five Stars

Read our 200 five out of five star Google+ reviews from our previous clients.